Friday, June 14, 2019

The Whiny Two Year Old Syndrome

This morning as I was getting ready for the day, I hear my two year old screaming from downstairs. It wasn’t the hurt cry that sends a mother hurrying to rescue her child. Nope, it was the whiny someone-is-bothering-me cry. As I opened the door to investigate, I’m met by one of my older girls. 

“Send her upstairs.” I said

“She took her clothes and diaper off, Mom. She won’t let us dress her.”

(She’s now old enough to take off all her clothes, but can’t manage to get them back on again, hence the screaming.)

“Send her up anyway. I’ll take care of it.”

I put her diaper on, dressed her, and sent her off smiling to eat her morning banana. Crisis #1 of the day done.

As I finished brushing my hair, the thought hit me that this is exactly how we are with God. We’re big enough to get ourselves into a mess but we can’t seem to get ourselves out. And instead of crying out to God for help, we cry and kick and scream from downstairs, even when others try to help us. We’re frustrated that we can’t fix it ourselves and in the end, we look like a whiny two year old, yelling because we don’t like the results of our own actions. 

I pray that we learn to lean into Jesus, even when we have caused the mess and instead of wasting time crying about it. 

Blessings, dear ones,

Momma H.

No comments:

Post a Comment